Friday, June 20, 2014

"Norwegian Wood" DOES end in arson!

For many years, I've listened to the song Norwegian Wood by The Beatles, and the ending always seemed strange to me:

...
So I lit a fire
Isn't it good
Norwegian Wood?

My comments, then as now, was that this is a terrible song. It tells the story of a guy who tries to crawl into bed with a girl, is refused, and he retaliates by burning the house down.

Most people I tell this to think that can't possibly be right. Such a sweet happy song can't possibly be describing a psychotic arsonist.

Well, I decided to Google for it today, and as it turns out, the lyrics are explained on the song's Wikipedia page (June 10, 2014). John started writing the lyrics as a cryptic way of describing an affair he was having. Then Paul finished it up, and thought it would be funny to end with him burning the house down:

... So she makes him sleep in the bath and then finally in the last verse I had this idea to set the Norwegian wood on fire as revenge, so we did it very tongue in cheek. She led him on, then said, "You'd better sleep in the bath." In our world the guy had to have some sort of revenge ... so it meant I burned the place down ....

I feel justified, amused, and a just a little disturbed by this revelation.

No comments: