Friday, April 24, 2020

ARS Technica: How Homeworld Almost Got Lost in 3D Space

How Homeworld Almost Got Lost in 3D Space

On this episode of War Stories, Ars Technica sits down with Rob Cunningham to revisit the groundbreaking 1999 3D real-time strategy game, Homeworld. When Rob and a group of friends founded Relic Entertainment, they set out to marry the gameplay of Command & Conquer with the feel of Battlestar Galactica - all in a full 3D environment. On top of the everpresent memory limitations of the day, the team needed to get creative in figuring out how to orient players when, in space, no direction is up.

Back when it was a new game, I loved Homeworld, although like most such games it was too difficult for me to have ever completed even once.

And after having watched this video, I want to play it again. I wonder if there's a way I can play my old disc. Unfortunately, it's PowerPC Mac software and my modern Intel Mac doesn't have an emulator. But maybe there's a way. If you know of a solution, please let me know.

4 comments:

Edward Eade II said...

If you have Bootcamp on your computer or setup a Windows VM it's available on GOG https://www.gog.com/game/homeworld_remastered_collection

Shamino said...

I still have an old Windows XP installer I could theoretically use in a VM, but I've been under the impression that VirtualBox doesn't provide enough horsepower for gaming. But even a 2011 Mac probably has enough horsepower to play a game that came out around 2000.

On the other hand, if the 2015 (Aspyr Media) Mac release of HW Remastered can work on my Mac, that might be the best approach, even if it means I need to buy a new copy.

Or I should finally get around to buying another gaming PC (my old one died and I haven't bothered to replace it in several years) and see if my old installers for HW and HW2 still work.

Edward Eade II said...

Most of the Dos games (And a good bit of the older Windows games) on GOG use DOS Box, now whether DOS Box inside an emulator on a machine without enough horsepower would work would be the question, but they have a fairly liberal return policy.

Shamino said...

DosBox is available for the Mac platform. I played with it several years ago, but never took the time to learn it well enough to get non-trivial apps running properly.

But in this case, Homeworld is a Windows app, not DOS. (At least I'm pretty sure it is) and therefore would be beyond the scope of DosBox.