Tuesday, June 01, 2021

Speaking of old IBM keyboards

Like New
May 31, 2021, Michal Necasek

About twenty years ago, I bought a used IBM Model M keyboard with a PS/2 connector. I believe it cost me around $5-$10 plus shipping at the time. A good investment, given that this sort of keyboard is probably worth $100 or more these days.
...
Given this keyboard’s track record, I would guess that in another 30 years, it will still be working fine, while most keyboards made today will have disintegrated into a pile of plastic dust.

I couldn't agree more. I have two, which I picked up at a flea market many years ago. One with a PS2 cable and one with an older "AT" keyboard cable. I don't use them that often because they don't have USB interfaces and don't have the "windows" key that modern operating systems really require, but they work great and will probably outlast every other piece of electronics in my office.

And some bragging points. Mine are older :-).

No comments: